Chinese Hatplant

Sunday, October 04, 2009

The plant below is a fairly new one I have in my garden!



It's called either Chinese Hatplant or Cup and Saucer plant. The botanic name is Holmskioldia Sanguinea.




I was attracted to the shape of the flower that looks like a Chinese hat. But I was not very drawn to the colour because I thought it would not go so well with the colours that are in my garden. I bought it anyway as they do not have other colours. I learnt that there are also yellow, red or purple ones.


This plant has bracts and tubular flowers in copper-orange. The flower does not last very long but the bract will stay for some time.



I still find the colour rather odd when placed together with my other plants which are mostly pink, purple and of course green. My red miniature rose is the only matching plant for this shrub. Fortunately my new yellow hibiscus does go well with this shrub too.


Also the plant grows in many directions. I am finding it hard to grow it into a nice shrub. Do you have a Chinese Hatplant? How do you keep it looking good?

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. But Stephanie, I like that copper orange colour!! Pale orange, lovely. It would go well together with some blue plants or even a blue pot!! Yellow all the way to red should match with a conrast colour. Keep it, it looks good on your picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, that's a beautiful little plant. It seems to be doing great.
    *Urban Green waves after a long time*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they really look traditional hats... almost like umbrella too!... it seems to blend well with other flowers.. Cheers ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those orange bracts remind me a little of bougainvillea, but the hat shape is really delightful. Fascinating pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty orange colour! We call it china man's hat plant here. There is also a pinkish hue. Yes they do remind me of Bougainvillea Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are very cute and I like the name of this plant. I have never seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting! You're very good at finding unique plants :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen one before! It's beautiful and I like the colour too. Wow, I think I've lost count of the times I've seen plants/blooms for the first time...here in your blog! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my neighbours has this plant, but the blooms are yellow. It flowers throughout the year in this weather. But the plant is somewhat untidy. She has trained it along a hedge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steph, you truly have an excellent taste for all the unique exotic looking plants. Im sure you will manage it well.
    I think it would go well with bougainvilleas as the brackets look very famaliar like this one.
    Happy Gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is this plant from the euphorbia family? I like orange colored flowers since it's not so commonly found. Nice pics, Steph ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, it is from the mint family, Lamiaceae. I bought one young new variety of Euphorbia milii recently. The bract petals are much bigger than the traditional one. I will post later and hopefully it would give me some beautiful blooms soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. just lovely, especially its soft orange color. and it does look like a Chinese hat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Steph. That makes a really nice novelty plant. I don't have one, so I can't advise you on pruning. Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure something out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like this plant! I like how the flower looks practically flat. Very interesting! I really like the color as well. Perhaps it wouldn't go so well with pinks, but do love the orange/peach.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen it in a resort here and they make advantage of the long vinelike stems to drop downwards like curtains. It is really enticing to look at.

    ReplyDelete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *