One Pretty Shrub

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Here is one shrub that loves the sun very much and dislikes any fertiliser. Once when I applied some fertiliser, almost all its leaves fell off. But I am not sure if you have the same experience though.



The young leaves are pink and white and when they grow older, they turn green and white. It is a slow growing plant for me as this little shrub has been in my garden for about two years already. The height of the plant has just increased by about six inches.




Pithecellobium Dulce Variegated is the botanic name. The plant is very easy to care for. Just give the plant enough water will do. But as you can see from the pic below, the plant tends to grow in different directions, mostly towards the sides rather than upwards. Once in a while I will trim the plant to maintain its shape.



Due to its mix of pink, white and green little leaves, the plant is always looking pretty in the garden and makes very good compliment to my other red and green leaf plants. It's really a nice plant to have :-)

And to my wonderful blogger friends,
Dorte of Soaps Breeze for awarding me this beautiful award...



James of Garden Chronicles for awarding me...


Many thanks!

You Might Also Like

20 comments

  1. This was used for hedges in older gardens here on the island. I don't see too many now. They have a few small thorns too. It is also called a snow bush. There is a larger leaf variety too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed a pretty shrub you are showing, and a warm clima, I need that right now, it's so hard every Autumn to adjust to the cold...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call this plant Snow Bush. It is really very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a colorful and delicate shrub!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, congratulations on the double awards. This plants does look like snow. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you got an award, love the blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been eyein for this plant for sometime. Yes you are right about the sunlight. The are sun lovers - the very reason Im lacking sunlight in my place may not make this plant thrive.
    But surprise to know about the fertiliser. Did you try using organic type?

    Congratulations on the double award!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steph. What a pretty plant. When I first saw it, I thought it was Breynia nivosa. Upon closer examination, I see that it is an altogether different plant. Still, looks like you have a very attractive plant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful with white background.
    Congratulations for all the awards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU TOTALLY made my day with your comment. IF you want to see more of the Garden WORLD -and I must note that they mention me this week - go to http://www.gardenworldreport.com

    Let me know if you watch it -ok?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not familiar with this plant, but I suspect things that grow in your tropical garden might do best here as indoor plants. Congrats for the awards - you deserve them Stephanie. Cheers, catmint

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Steph! I love this delicate looking
    plant. They are grown here as houseplants
    but I've never had one..will have to fix
    that ;) Love the pink splashes at the tips.
    Have a wonderful day! And congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a good-looking shrub. I don't have it. Maybe I should look around for one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations ! This plant has such lovely colors, a real beauty .
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Congratulations on your awards :) Yes, its a pretty shrub.. nice green & white combination.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty shrub! I had something like this a long time ago...not exactly the same as yours. Your Snow Bush is prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely shrub, I haven't seen or heard about it before. Interesting plant.

    Congratulations for your awards !!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooooh, ooooh, how pretty Stephanie! The foliage color reminds me of Japanese dappled willows - hardy where I live. I planted one this spring, and love it.

    Congratulations on your awards!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. I have never propagated this plant before. What I know is that it can be done using the plant's cutting or seeds.

      Delete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *