A Wet Week

Thursday, September 12, 2013

I hope you have had a great week! Well, it was mostly cloudy and rainy here in Petaling Jaya. In fact, as I am typing this post, the sky is still suggesting bad weather for this week though the forecast says tomorrow is going to be sunny. 

Even the temperature has dropped by a few degrees! It is usually around 32°C in the afternoon but this week, it is about 29°C only. While I enjoy the cooler weather, one bloom just came out at the wrong time. This yellow bloom of my Gerbera Daisy was small in size and withered soon after it blossomed - disliking the wet weather I supposed...



Other blooms seems alright. I found strings of little bell flowers of the Russelia equisetiformis 'Flava' being swept to one side, probably due to the strong winds. Looking at the messy bush, I was imagining... if the flowers were real bells I would hear chimes of little bells quite often last week hehe... 




My pink thyme has finally grown more stems and leaves!! 
I have been growing this plant in this pot for months now. Oh, I am so pleased :-D 



These two hibiscus buds... gosh, I think the birds came in the morning and ate them up. I heard birds in the garden and next thing I know the flower buds have disappeared! Do the birds in your garden feed on flower buds? 




The brightest blooms of all are these Senecio confusus 'Sao Paulo'! The flowers looked very orange at first and later turned bright red. The vine however doesn't seem to be doing well when it rains so frequently. Good thing the flower buds came before the bad weather started :-)



From this pot of portulaca, one bloom is enough to warm my heart, haha... This pink one seldom appears. The regular colour is orange.



My succulents... they are growing faster than I thought! I could see them getting 'fatter' and a little taller by the weeks, yay :-D 



These two little plants were given by a friend. I am so happy to be able to grow Coffea sp. but I am still keeping my fingers crossed for them to be able to flourish well under my care. They look a little fragile now though... 




Forever cheery and radiant is my old episcias. Its blooms cheer up the porch area and I never miss seeing them...



I need more sunshine and hope your garden has plenty of it. I wish you a very wonderful week and happy gardening!

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. No sunshine here other then a few hours in the afternoon some days. Being at work means I can watch it from inside the office.. It looks like you have a green garden despite all the rain..
    Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a nice week too Mia! If the rain persists then I am afraid that the leaves are going to turn yellow.

      Delete
  2. We've had both rain and shine. My episcia is also blooming now. The leaves are in a lighter shade of green. Your succulents look good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful Kanak! I am glad for you. My light green episcias with yellow flowers seldom flower. Thanks for your kind remarks on my succulents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice succulent arrangement! Mine are just scattered outside the front door soaking up sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bom! Oh you are another kind person. Btw, I am sure some sunlight is good for the succulents :-)

      Delete
  5. Hi Stephanie the vibrant orange Episcias flowers are lovely, as you say a very cheerful sight.As I like orange blooms I'm also drawn to your Senecio confusus. I hope the rain does not spoil more of your plants. Is this your rainy season? Here in Portugal it's still hot, no rain yet!
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portugal? Wow! I always wonder where is your location coz you always have the most amazing butterflies!! Hope some rain will fall soon at your place. Btw Senecio confuses is a butterfly nectar plant!!

      Delete
  6. I love your fire cracker plant.
    (I got an red variety) and they do indeed get messy looking after awhile.
    And your succulents are doing so well - those variety don't to well in my garden.

    Its been raining and my orchids had been blooming. That is the bright side.
    Other than the wet garden - the rain often spoil my mood in doing some gardening.
    Hope it would be a bright sunny weekend during these holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup lets hope that the weekend is going to be sunny. The fire cracker plant grows back quickly after I cut back the plant. Wish I have a bigger garden! With the succulents, they only need very little water... I just water them once a week unless the weather gets too hot. Btw, I just visited your blog, your orchid is really pretty!

      Delete
  7. Like James I have the red Russelia equisetiformis/Firecracker plant. I do minimal pruning of the stems, to allow them to grow thick and self-supporting.
    Your episcias cultivar is atrractive. I have the type with green leaves.

    Fortunately, the birds in my garden are better behaved. They just sip on the nectar and are quite gentle with the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stiletto, you are right! My firecracker plant stands upright better now than before. As for the birds, I haven't actually seen them sipping nectar. They move around so fast! Btw that episcias I grew it from a stolon plucked from an overgrown edge from a public landscape ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too if I don't have a specimen that I particularly like ;)

      Delete
  9. Hi Steph, from what I know about your climate, when it rains, it pours down in sheets. Can be tough on tender young petals I suppose. Like the Gerbera. But I won't report you to the Royal Society for the Protection of Gerberas. (joke) Interesting about the birds eating whole flowers buds. They might nibble the petals, or maybe it's insects, but I've never seen the whole thing eaten like that. It must have been very hungry. Your succulents look great. They are generally reliable, aren't they, as long as their feet don't get wet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey sue catmint, hungry birds? And not 'angry birds'? LOL... Well, good thing the rain didn't come with strong winds. Otherwise some of my plants may come tumbling down. The succulents are in a sheltered area, so they are fine :-)

      Delete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *