Surprises

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

There is not much to update from the garden this week. Just that I am so proud of my Euphorbia bracteata (Synonym: Pedilanthus bracteatus) shrub. The plant, once short and had only one stem has recently grown more stems, leaves and flowers! The most fascinating part about this plant is of course, is its bird-like blooms...


The green bird-like blooms that are enclosed within the reddish-pink bracts will turn yellow as they age. 




Meanwhile, my little chilli shrub has flourished even more blooms and pods this week. Sorry I keep bragging about his little plant but the shrub has been super productive in flowering and 'hot' fruits setting! Possibly good genes? 



I sowed a seed from my Acerola (botanical name: Malphighia glabra) bonsai. The seed sprouted, signifying a new beginning, yay 凸(¬‿¬)凸  

I have always wondered why gardeners love to grow bonsais from seeds, now I have a chance to experience it myself! But I am still keeping my fingers crossed for this little sprout. The seed coat seems to be still enclosing the cotyledon...



My Jasmine sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' bloom buds that had taken many days to develop... have not blossomed yet... ヾ( ̄0 ̄ )ノ



This week, I had also repotted my orchids that were all growing in one pot (to save space). They were toppled over by a strong wind one afternoon. My orchids are now settled into a new pot. Good thing I have a spare one at hand. Gosh, the weather is becoming crazy. One moment very sunny and next moment, a heavy rain!

After the repotting I pruned the Sandpaper Vine (botanical name: Petrea volubilis). Months ago it suffered from under-watering and didn't seem to have recover from it.



Take care and happy gardening!

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. Steph, it all looks fabulous ! I agree it would be very interesting to try a Bonsai - you have nothing to lose really. I am trying my hand at a standard Wisteria this year, as I have nowhere for this huge climber to go, so thought I would put it in a big pot and train it as a standard. All new to me but there is so much advice out there in cyber space !! Good luck with your Bonsai !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Jane that's a cool project! Good luck! I love standards but my problem with thick vine kind of standard is always the size of the pot - not deep/big enough for the roots to grow deep.

      Delete
  2. Seems like all the plants grow healthily. I guess that sort of jasmine is a double layers petal. Cute looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely plants, Stephanie! I have just harvested my chillies too! So happy!
    Good luck with the bonsai, hope it grows well and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little cotyledon is still inside the seed coat today... :-(

      Delete
  4. Oh, Stephanie, your plants look great ! Good luck with bonsai !
    Greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ela! I hope the little sprout will grow faster.

      Delete
  5. Boa tarde
    Não conhecia a planta pássaro , muito ornamental,
    gosto de conhecer coisas novas.
    Bom fim de semana.
    http://eueminhasplantinhas.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the plant Simone. One of those bird-like blooms has turned yellow today.

      Delete
  6. Look like you're very busy in the garden! All your plants look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Malar, due to the hot weather, I am really busy with firstly watering the plants and also moving around plants as some are not reacting too well to the dry and scorching hot sun.

      Delete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *