Amazing Week

Saturday, September 28, 2013

What a great week it has been! It was full of sunshine over last weekend and I took the opportunity to do some gardening, yippie!

The Mexican Heather (Cuphea hyssopifolia) was the first to get a cut back. The shrub grew a little crazy this time round. Though it bloomed a little more than usual, I have to prune it as the stems have gotten leggy. Anyway, after pruning, I grabbed a bunch of the stem cuttings and placed them all in water, making my kitchen pretty for a few days :-)



One of the shrubs that I replanted is the coleus. Took some cuttings and replanted them... and they should be able to root quickly and easily.




I also pruned the Chinese Hat Plant (Holmskioldia sanguinea) as most of the branches were kind of dry and leafless.


My Crossandra infundibuliformis 'Shamrock' was a delight as the shrub was blossoming non-stop for a several weeks now. Also due to the cloudy sky, the flowers stayed on the bracts longer. 























I also shared how I grew my wheat grass (Triticum aestivum), the hydroponic way in my kitchen in this article on the New Straits Times.

Watch how the wheat berries turned into a little baby plant...

Day 1:



Day 2:



Day 3:



Day 5:



Day 8:



Day 9:





Baby wheat plants are known to be highly nutritious and are used to make juices. They are packed with vitamins, amino acids, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants and offer numerous health benefits. 



Cheers :-D

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Hi Stephany! I am completely fascinated with the wheat grass process. Great job, it is so well explained that I want to go out and buy some right now!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that :-D I actually spent a lot more time writing than planting this article. It is quicker to grow it than writing about it!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being published Stephanie! My wife and I enjoy wheat grass when we can. The children have theirs with a slice of orange to suck on though. Still, at least they are enjoying the health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bom! Good idea on the slice of orange!! Your children is going to grow knowing what is best for them :-D

      Delete
  3. Nice. It is getting colder here. The pictures remind me of the nice weather that is soon to be leaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lady Lillth BloodCrave, we have hot and humid weather throughout the year. When it gets too hot, I wish to be living in the cool temperate climate :-)

      Delete
  4. I've noticed wheat grass juice for sale, but never thought to grow it myself. Congrats. on getting published in NST, Steph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sue catmint, thanks. The grass is sold here as well. Since they are meant for juicing and I need lots of them, cost-wise, I thought it will be better to grow my own :-)

      Delete
  5. Its great time to sort the garden as you mentioned.
    I had manage to arrange some of my garden plants during this nice weather too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no complains on the weather too. I can see my plants growing day by day... so cool . Just that they have to be watered everyday haha...

      Delete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *