Another Gift From Auntie

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Each time when I see a pot of plant hanging at the fence that separates me and my neighbour, I know that my neighbour's mom (I call her auntie) has just dropped me another gift.

This time it's another sympodial orchid in a slightly bigger pot (but still small) compared to the yellow oncidium I posted earlier (hanging next to it). Again, no blooms yet. So it would be another pleasant surprise when I see the flower later :-)

I always have mixed feelings when I see a new plant hanging at the fence. Though I am very happy to receive a plant from her, I do feel quite sad for her knowing that she is giving away plants as she couldn't tend her garden at her house in the suburb anymore due to old age. She now has to shuttle between the suburb and the city to stay with her children in different homes. Her daughter (my neighbour) does not really garden.

The other plants that I have received from auntie are...

A monopodial orchid that I have splitted into two as it was so tall. But later I have learnt that I should have let it bloom first before spliting it :-P


Two herbal plants...





There was another very spiky herb plant but it didn't grow well in my garden, so I discarded it.

So far all I did in return was to bake her a cake. Well, it's time for me to bake another one :-)

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. That sounds familiar. I do meet a lot of aging people who are finding it difficult to tend to plants anymore and giving it away. Good luck for the new ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's sad but there is comfort (for your neighbour's mom) in knowing that the plants are in good hands!! The orchid looks good. Sweet of you to bake her a cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One plant lover recognises another. Good for you! Your yellow oncidium is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. olá,amiga...
    grata pela visita e comentário...
    suas plantas são lindas!!!
    NAMASTE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it is sad that your friend has to give away her plants, it must be heartening for her to know that her plants will be well cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh nice one Stepahnie, I wish I had such a nice neighbour, I find I'm the one who offers plants to my neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love for gardening connects people somehow Steph. The plants will be in good pair of hands now. ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is a true gardener who knows that her plants are in good hands and Im sure she will take delight when the flowers bloom. All the more delighted to received a home baked cakes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steph. It's a bittersweet story. Take good care of those orphaned plants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an honor to receive gifts from a gardener. She knows you will care for her plants with love. The tenderness of your exchange touches me deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie, good for you! I am sure your auntie is happy that she has found her plants a lovely, new home :) Bake her another cake, chat with her about your plants and gardening experience... I think she will enjoy your gardening stories as much as your cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet Auntie has found a great home for her plants and I'm sure she appreciates your baking. I like the orchids and herbal plants.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha... the aunty is quite funny :) Its like dropping of a stray dog or cat at your front door!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I started receiving plants from other people, I felt funny. Somehow, later as I watch these plants blossom and grow, I began to think of the giver and realised that this simple gesture do brings about happiness. Good luck on your orchids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a happy surprice it must be to come home and find a gift hanging on your fence, which I had an "aunt" too. Yes, you should indeed make her another cake, freindships like that deserves nutrition, but I'm sure you know that already :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, this is so sweet. And if you think about the care she's given these plants, to know she can "pass them down" to you must give her such satisfaction. She's probably really happy to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Gifts you get are really beautiful !!I wish i could have a aunty like yours..Great..Unseen Rajasthan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Steph! So sad...but also so wonderful that she has found you. Imagine if she didn't have you. Have you ever been able to invite her in to view all of your plants? I guess you must have otherwise how would she know to trust you with her plants. What a great match you two are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. An insightful post.I found this website useful for Herb Gardening tips http://www.herbgardeningtoday.com. I think you guys will find it interesting too.

    Thanks,
    Patrice - Herb garden plants

    ReplyDelete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *