Extended Blooms

Monday, June 01, 2020

I have been growing my Sandpaper Vine (Botanical name: Petrea volubilis) for a number of years in a 12-inch pot. The vine was earlier placed at a location that is just below the gutter of my porch. So whenever the gutter overflows due to the heavy rain, the splash can be too strong for the vine to take.


Recently I found a new small spot for the vine to be moved away from where the gutter is. The vine now flowers more often.

The pic below shows the second raceme flower (an indeterminate inflorescence and the flowers are arranged along a single central axis) which was developed on the same stalk of an earlier one.


And here is a video of it...


The pic below was snapped the day before the deep purple flowers blossomed from this second raceme. Notice that delicate dried branch? That was all that's left from the earlier raceme. You can see the flowers again in my earlier post.


So you see, it is better to just leave the old raceme alone after the flowers have faded for the vine might just bloom again.

Happy gardening!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Beautiful Petrea! Actually Petrea is my plant list. Both of the purple and white flowers are so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph. It's been a long time!

    In Bermuda we called your vine Purple Crown. I don't have one, yet. Do you know if it will start from seed?

    The other climbers I am still looking for are Strongylodon macrobotrys (Jade Vine) and thunbergia mysorensis. Neither of these will start from seed (only cuttings, I think).

    I have returned with a new fledgling blog (as therapy during the covid debacle). I see you have been busy in my absence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Prospero!

      What a nice surprise to hear from you :)

      Usually it is hard for flowers to set seed due to our climate, this is probably why this purple crown of mine has never set seed. It does start from cuttings.

      The two vines you are looking for, I am not sure if they will set seed here easily nor if the seeds will sprout. I have only seen them growing magnificently at highland places here as far as I can remember.

      Check out this vendor called Nawan Garden on Lazada Malaysia (an e-commerce platform), https://www.lazada.com.my/products/special-collection-emerald-vine-or-turquoise-jade-vine-live-plants-anak-pokok-turquoise-jade-vine-for-balconygarden-homegarden-i812648031-s1897850517.html?spm=a2o4k.seller.list.15.35de175bBkisfe&mp=1

      My therapy during the lockdown, online shopping... for food :P

      Delete
  3. It is so wonderful to have blue blooms as such as these. I have a small little sand paper vine and it is so fragile looking. I'm still wondering how I'm going to cultivate this in my now overgrown heavily populated garden which may require a lot more pruning and resetting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, pruning requires time and energy... doing it regularly! The vine thrives under the hot sun, James. Feed it regularly and you will be rewarded in due time.

      Delete

Press

Paperblog

All Gardening Sites

BLOG SEARCH ENGINE

DIRECTORY OF GARDENING BLOGS

GDPR Policy

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *